For the salmon:
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 lime, juice of
- 4 (6 oz) Alaskan wild pink or chum salmon fillets
- olive oil spray
- lime wedges for serving
For the black beans and corn:
- 15.5 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels (fresh is fine)
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 3 tbsp finely minced cilantro
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
- kosher salt to taste
- Combine all the spices in a small bowl. Squeeze lime juice over salmon then rub in the spices to completely coat; set aside to rest about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté 2 minutes; add beans, corn and salt and cook until heated through, about 6 – 8 minutes.Remove from heat and toss in cilantro and lime juice. Makes 3 1/2 cups.
- Heat a clean outdoor grill (make sure the grates are clean and lightly oiled) or if cooking indoors a lightly oiled grill pan over high heat. When hot, grill the salmon for about 5 minutes on each side or until the fish is opaque throughout. Serve with black beans, corn and lime wedges.