Grilled Artichoke, Smoked Trout and Charred Green Onion Salad with Chive Honey Vinaigrette Recipe
January 27, 2016
- 2 large or 4 small artichokes, trimmed
- 1 lemon
- 6 cups spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 green onions
- 4 ounces Smoked Trout
- ½ cup Kalamata olives, pitted
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Chive Honey Vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup minced chives
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- kosher salt to taste
- Fill a large pot with salted water and add the artichokes that are trimmed of their tough outer leaves and stem. Cut the lemon in half and add the lemon to the water. Simmer the artichokes until the leaves are tender. You will know that they are finished when you can easily pull a leaf and the bottom is soft. This takes about 30 minutes for the small artichokes or an hour for the large.
- Pull off all of the leaves and reserve them for eating. Scrape the choke from the artichoke so that you have a clean choke. Cut them into two or four pieces depending on their size.
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium heat. Brush the chokes and the green onions with the 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Grill the vegetables briefly until they get char marks on them and the onions are softened. Set them aside.
- Arrange a platter of the spinach and then ad the grilled green onions and the artichoke hearts as well as the cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives and smoked trout.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chives, honey, olive oil and red wine vinegar for the chive honey vinaigrette. Season to taste with kosher salt and drizzle over the salad. Serve immediately.