Grilled Chicken with Grilled Lemon and Garlic Relish Recipe
March 1, 2016
- 10 cloves garlic, lightly smashed and peeled
- 3 small lemons, quartered
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup lightly packed minced herbs, such as parsley, basil, and tarragon
- sea salt to taste
- Prepare a hot grill. Use tongs to move coals over to one side to create a cool and hot side of the grill.
- Place garlic cloves in an 8-inch square of foil. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Wrap foil around garlic carefully, so oil won’t leak out onto the grill.
- Place foil packet with garlic over the cooler side of the grill, and cook until garlic is cooked through and translucent, 10 – 15 minutes. Set aside to cool; when cool enough to handle, carefully open packet.
- Place lemon slices over the hot part of the grill. Cook each side for 2 – 3 minutes, or until charred and golden brown. (The rind will take the longest, give it time to lightly char and soften up.) Lemons will be very soft and juicy, so handy carefully once cooked.
- To make the relish, mash grilled garlic with a fork. Finely mince 1 lemon, peel and all.
- Mash garlic, olive oil, and a pinch of sea salt with the minced herbs. Next, add the minced lemon (you may want to add the minced lemon sparingly – taste as you go). Squeeze the juice of one of the remaining grilled lemons onto the relish, using your hand to catch any seeds. Mix well with a fork, taste, and add more sea salt, lemon, or olive oil as needed.
- Add the remaining grilled lemon pieces to the plate of grilled chicken.
- Spoon relish onto grilled chicken, and enjoy.