Grilled Buffalo Tofu Po’ Boy with Apple Slaw Recipe
March 3, 2016
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ¼ cup hot sauce, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 (14 to 16-ounces) package tofu, pressed overnight, and cut into ½-inch slices
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 medium apples, grated
- 1 medium shallot, grated
- 6 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise, plus more for spreading
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and black pepper
- 4 (6-inch) hoagie rolls or gluten-free wraps
- 8 slices tomato
- Combine the broth, hot sauce and butter in a medium saucepan. Bring the sauce to a boil, add the tofu slices and reduce to a simmer. Simmer the tofu for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside for 10 minutes to marinate.
- Combine the cabbage, apple, shallot, mayo and vinegar in a large bowl. Season with salt and black pepper and mix well.
- Heat a large grill pan over medium heat. Drain the tofu, reserving the marinade. Grill the tofu until heated through and grill marks appear, about 5 minutes per side. Baste the tofu with the reserved marinade, as needed.
- Toast the hoagie rolls or warm the wraps. To assemble the sandwiches, spread a few teaspoons of mayo on the rolls or wraps. Add 2 slices of tomato and two slices of grilled tofu to each sandwich. Top with more hot sauce, if desired, and add slaw, to taste. Serve.