- 1 small head of curly green kale, torn from stems
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 slices of bread
- 6 ounces of harvarti cheese, freshly grated (this works best if havarti is cold)
- softened butter for spreading
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the kale on a baking sheet and spritz it with olive or coconut oil, then sprinkle it with salt, pepper and crushed pepper flakes. Roast for 10 minutes, then lightly toss and roast for 10 minutes more just until crispy.
- Stir together the mayo, mustard and smoked paprika. To make the grilled cheese, spread the outsides of the bread slices with softened butter. Spread the insides with the mayo mixture. Top each slice with grated cheese. Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat and place the bread slices butter-side down on the skillet – cooking all 4 in an open faced manner. This is in order to keep the kale crispy. You can cover the skillet if it helps the cheese melt.
- While the grilled cheeses are toasting, heat another skillet over medium heat and fry the eggs.
- To assemble the grilled cheese, top 2 slices of toasted cheesy bread with the crispy kale. Use the other slices to top the grilled cheese, with the cheese side placed on the kale. To serve, throw the egg on top and eat!