- 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3 tbsp dark rum
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Canola oil, for brushing the grill
- 1 (4 lb.) pineapple, skin removed, cut into 8 (3/4 inch) rounds, core removed
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a large skillet or medium saucepan set over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the brown sugar and flour. Cook, whisking constantly, for about 2 minutes to eliminate the taste of the raw flour.
- Pour in the half-and-half and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in rum, fresh lemon juice and vanilla extract. Keep the sauce warm over low heat until ready to use, whisking occasionally.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Brush grill with canola oil. Lay the pineapple on the grill and cook, about 5 minutes, turning halfway through cooking.
- Remove the pineapple from the heat, and serve with ice cream and the brown sugar rum sauce.