- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 4 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes (not drained)
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 6 slices day-old bread, cubed
- 16 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
- Using a large stock pot or Dutch oven, add the olive oil. Heat over medium heat until hot. Add the onion and garlic; saute for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are slightly soft.
- Add the tomato paste; cook for 2-3 more minutes, stirring often.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, chicken stock, sugar, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 30-35 minutes.
- Using a stick blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Add the cubed bread and shredded cheese. Stir until cheese has fully melted.