- (2) 1/2 inch thick slices smoked gouda
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons tomato jam (recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- Heat a large skillet with 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat until the surface of the pan is coated.
- To assemble the sandwich, butter the bread with the remaining tablespoon of butter, then spread 1 tablespoon of the jam onto each piece. lay two slices of the gouda on top of one of the slices touching the jam, and then place the other piece of bread on top, with the jammy side facing the middle.
- Place the sandwich on the pan and grill, covered, until the bread turns brown and crispy and the cheese begins to melt.
- Use a spatula to flip the sandwich over and repeat on the other side until desired toastiness is reached. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
TOMATO SAGE JAM
- 7 cups tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, diced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- Mix together all of the ingredients in a large pot over medium high heat until the mixture begins to boil.
- Lower to medium-low heat and allow to simmer until the mixture thickens to a jam-like consistency, stirring every 10 minutes (take about 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes depending on your heat level).
- Pour the jam into sterilized canning jars, seal tightly, and submerge in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.
- Remove with canning tongs and allow to cool to room temperature.