Grilled Steak Salad with Roasted Rainbow Vegetables
June 14, 2015
For the vegetables:
- 3 medium beets
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 4 medium carrots
For the steak:
- 2, 4-ounce top sirloin steaks
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
For the salad and dressing:
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Mixed greens, such as spinach, mesclun, or arugula
- 3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons toasted pistachios or nuts of choice
- Place oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of your oven, then preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Peel the beets then cut into 1-inch chunks. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Place in the oven and roast until fork tender, 35 to 40 minutes, turning once or twice throughout.
- Meanwhile, peel the carrots and cut into 1 1/2 inch diagonal slices. Spread in a single layer on a second baking sheet, drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. When the beets have been in the oven for about 15 minutes, place the carrots on a second rack in the same oven and roast until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Turn the carrots once or twice throughout and rotate their position in the oven with the beets so that the vegetables cook evenly. When the vegetables are done roasting, remove from the oven and set aside.
- To cook the steaks, first remove from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature. Heat a grill or a heavy cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Pat the steaks dry, brush well with olive oil, and season liberally with salt and pepper. Grill steaks for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes on each side for medium rare or 3 minutes per side for medium, or until the steaks register 125 degrees on a digital read thermometer. Remove to a plate and cover with foil. Let rest for 10 minutes, then slice.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper. While whisking, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until the mixture thickens and is well combined. (Alternatively, you can shake all of the dressing ingredients together in a tightly-sealed jar.)
- Place greens and roasted vegetables in the bottom of each serving bowl and top lightly with dressing. Toss to coat. Top with the sliced steak, crumbled blue cheese, toasted nuts, and a little extra dressing as desired. Serve immediately.