Grilled Barbecue Bacon Meatloaf
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 15 ounces BBQ Sauce, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, diced fine
- 6 bacon slices
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 12 ounces bourbon
- 8 sandwich rolls
- 8 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- BBQ Sauce
- 8 eggs
- In a large bowl, combine beef, bread crumbs, egg, ⅓ cup barbecue sauce, garlic, salt and onion. Form into a loaf and place on three layers of aluminum foil. Fold edges of foil up to create tray for grilling.
- Cover loaf with remaining barbecue sauce – save a bit for serving on sandwiches! – and layer bacon slices over meatloaf diagonally, tucking ends under loaf.
- Grill over indirect heat for one hour or until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees.
- Remove from heat and tent with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 20 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, add onions to large pan over high heat until beginning to sweat and brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add whiskey and reduce heat to medium. Cook until liquid has completely cooked into onions and onions are caramel in color.
- Fry eggs according to personal preference.
- Grill sandwich roll halves and place a thick slice of meatloaf on bottom of roll.
- Top with cheese slice, placing under broiler momentarily, if desired, to melt.
- Top with additional barbecue sauce, whiskey caramelized onions, fried egg and top of roll.