Grilled Skirt Steak with Shishitos and Charred Lemon
November 6, 2015
- 1/4 cup each rosemary and thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup minced shallot
- 8 garlic cloves
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak, cut into 2 equal pieces
- Kosher salt
- 4 ounces shishito peppers
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 lemon, halved
- 4 cups frisée (2 1/2 ounces), coarsely torn
- 4 cups watercress (2 ounces), stemmed and coarsely torn
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced on the diagonal, plus 1/2 cup celery leaves
- 2 ounces Stilton or other blue cheese, crumbled
- PREPARE THE STEAK In a blender, combine all of the ingredients except the steak, salt and pepper. Puree until smooth. Put the steak in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour the marinade over the steak, seal the bag and turn to coat the meat. Refrigerate overnight.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Pat the steak dry and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderate heat until medium-rare, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Leave the grill on.
- MAKE THE SALAD In a bowl, toss the shishitos with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the peppers until lightly charred all over, about 2 minutes. Grill the lemon halves cut side down until lightly charred, 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, toss the grilled shishitos with the frisée, watercress, mint, celery and leaves and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Squeeze 1 tablespoon of juice from a grilled lemon over the salad, season with salt and pepper and toss. Top with the cheese.
- Thinly slice the steak across the grain. Serve with the salad and grilled lemon halves for squeezing over the steak.